Head of Workers Compensation Programs
The Head of Workers’ Compensation Programs will be responsible for managing the workers’ compensation insurance programs of the organization This role is responsible for managing and minimizing the potential enterprise, legal and financial risk to the Company through active involvement in the Company’s workers’ compensation programs. Partners with various internal departments, insurance brokers, attorneys and third-party administrators to support and facilitate workers’ compensation insurance policies and programs.
• Applies knowledge of insurance laws and best practices in risk management, underwriting, safety/loss control, claims advocacy, training, and research/data collection methods, etc. to establish policies and procedures for work situations that are varied and complex.
• Interfaces with various internal departments (Finance, Accounting, Legal, Human Resources) as well as insurance brokers, carriers and third-party administrators on potential, open and closed claims.
• Partners with senior leadership in strategizing new opportunities to ensure prospect profitability and risk is appropriate and acceptable to policy standards; as well as the management, negotiation and participation in the renewal of all insurance programs, working with brokers, underwriters and actuaries to administer insurance policies.
• Manages a team of underwriters, claims adjusters, risk analyst and safety professionals.
• Develops and maintains information system(s) for timely and accurate recording of losses, claims, insurance premiums, and other risk-related costs and experience factors. Prepares reports to others as appropriate.
• Ensures TPA manages claims diligently, works with Management and Legal resources to manage relevant claim details, implements plan for timely resolution of claims and reviews claims with TPA for causation and possible subrogation opportunities.
• Reviews all open claims every 30 days internally to explore opportunities for cost containment and potential recoveries. Partner with all relevant parties such as carrier adjusters and defense counsel on a plan of action.
• Holds quarterly claim reviews with TPA and broker partners.
• Processes all certificate of insurance and waiver of subrogation requests in compliance with internal policies and contractual requirements.
• Serves as point of contact for all departmental escalations including internal as well as external clients.
• Prepares and conduct quarterly business reviews of plan performance to Senior Leadership alongside our broker partner.
• Proactively engages with Sales to properly position opportunities, whether in our master program or outside markets.
• Manages open market solutions for opportunities and assists CFO with corporate insurance needs
• Verifies and tracks all insurance premiums, fee and other invoices.
• Responds to any notice of additions/cancellations or other policy changes as appropriate.
• Assesses WC margin for opportunities and existing clients and makes recommended rate adjustments to senior leadership.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• College-level courses in safety, risk management, and/or related fields. B.A. desired.
• 3-5 years’ experience in leadership role
• Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws regulating risk and worker’s compensation management and (e.g., Department of Labor & Industries, workers' compensation, etc.).
• Prior successful experience managing loss control functions preferably within the PEO industry
• Excellent communication, presentation, follow-up and customer service skills
• Ability to work in fast paced environment and cooperatively with co-workers and managers.
• Experience with Microsoft applications