Sr. Risk Underwriter (Workers' Compensation)
Summary: The Senior Risk Underwriter analyzes and processes applications for Workers' Compensation insurance coverage with our carrier partners. This position plays an integral role in the preliminary risk assessment process. The underwriter interacts with sales and insurance agents to help potential clients secure insurance products and services. Precise attention to detail, mathematical aptitude, communication and organizational skills are key traits of an underwriter.
- Develops and maintains relationships with clients, internal departments and vendors. Educates and trains as needed.
- Underwrites prospects by examining documents such as applications, requests for proposals, loss information utilizing underwriting tools to determine degree of risk and possible market and ensures coverage is in place for all Worker’s Compensation clients. Makes recommendations for these risks and approves within authority level.
- Works with sales to gather required information and provide quotes and indications as required.
- Policy Administration such as processing certificates of insurance as needed.
- Handle monopolistic state filings.
- Ensures clients and reporting requirements are compliant within WC guidelines or statutes.
- Completes carrier audits.
- Works with Risk Control and Claims as needed regarding renewals and pre-underwriting surveys.
- Ensures binding of risk and proper system administration into AlphaStaff’s Client Relationship Management system and payroll system as required.
- Assists the analytics team with audits as needed.
- Completes all new class code / new location requests
- Sends out term notification for master and multiple coordinated policy (MCP) states
- Completes experience modification (ERM) Letters
- Other duties as assigned
- Associate’s degree preferred or 5 years plus combined equivalent of work experience and education.
- Licensed 220 or 524 or 624 license preferred, continuing education requirements need to be in good standing within compliance period.
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Possess excellent communication and follow-up skills.
- Ability to multi task and consistently lead and direct the work of others. Ability to learn, adapt to new situations and train and develop team members and direct reports.
- Experience in HRP and Salesforce preferred
- Industry/Broker/Carrier/on-line Certificate issuance programs.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Strong commitment to client service both internally and externally; work to exceed all customers’ expectations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adapts to changes in the work environment; manages competing demands; able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others within the team and across teams.